Thanksgiving is just a few days away and we know that many of our residents will be celebrating this important holiday with their families and friends. Because many of the suites that we offer for rent are bachelors, studios or 1 bedroom units, we thought we would do a quick blog post with some ideas for our residents who may want to host their own Thanksgiving dinner, but are worried about adequate space to do so. Just because you have a smaller living space doesn't mean you should be left out of the turkey-basting, pie-baking fun.
1. Combine dishes. That compact kitchen with a small stove and just enough counter space may work fine when cooking for one or two, but it might not work if you want to host a group. Steam your veggies all together for a lovely melange of flavours or roast potatoes in the same pan as the turkey. These solutions can save space, time, energy AND make for some delicious dishes!
2. Get a slowcooker. You can make any one of your Thanksgiving favourites in here, including a turkey, and if counter space is truly limited you could place it anywhere that has a electrical outlet within reach.
3. Use heavy-duty compostable plates. These plates with save you with having a ton of dishes to wash in your sink, and allow you to live responsibly too!
4. Make it a potluck. If you are really worried about cooking, why not offer to make the turkey and have you guests each bring a dish. Make it fun by drawing names for who is to bring potatoes, veggies, cranberry sauce or dessert.
5. Have a Thanksgiving picnic in your living room if you don't have enough space around the table. Set the food up buffet style on your trusty two-person table, then grab a fun Thanksgiving tablecloth from the dollar store and set it up on your living room floor. Just tell any naysayers that you are having an "International" Thanksgiving: eating on the floor is a custom in many cultures, from Egyptian to Moroccan to Japanese.
If you end up having an apartment-style Thanksgiving dinner we would love to see some photos about what you did! Feel free to share them on our Facebook Page.
About avenue living™
Based in Calgary, Alberta, avenue living™ is Western Canada's fastest growing private apartment building owner and operator. We came from humble beginnings with a few buildings in Southern Alberta, and in just over four years have grown to manage over 2500 rental apartments in the Prairie Provinces. We now own and operate buildings in Brooks, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Regina, Saskatoon, Swift Current, Winnipeg and Yorkton, and continue to expand into new markets. Despite our rapid growth, we remain primarily focused on placing our valued customers' needs first and providing them with quality homes and apartments for rent. We also believe in providing our customers with housing solutions that let them actively participate in reducing their impact on our environment when renting with us, by continuing to upgrade our buildings to make them more energy efficient.