Moving into your first apartment is an exciting adventure, but it can also be daunting when it comes to knowing what items you’ll need. One of the most important areas in your new space is your kitchen – after all, it’s where you’ll get all the fuel your body needs. Whether you're a seasoned chef or a beginner in the culinary world, having the right tools in your kitchen can make a significant difference. In this guide, we'll walk you through the essential items you’ll need for your first kitchen, as well as some often-forgotten yet incredibly useful tools.
Appliances That Make Life Easier
Appliances are the most important items to have when moving into an apartment. Most apartments come with a stove and dishwasher, but many will be without a microwave, coffee machine and blender. So, here are our top appliances that everyone needs to get started:
- Microwave: If you live in an apartment that doesn’t supply a microwave, we highly suggest investing in one, as they are perfect for lazy-day meals and a versatile appliance for reheating leftovers.
- Toaster or toaster oven: If you’re a bread lover, we suggest getting a toaster or toaster oven for crisping bread, heating frozen snacks or even baking smaller goodies.
- Blender: Don’t forget a blender for smoothies, soups and sauces.
- Coffee machine or electric kettle: If you’re a coffee or tea lover, these are morning ritual game-changers!
Now that we’ve hashed out which appliances you need, it’s time to tackle what cookware supplies will be required to get your cooking journey started.
- Pots and pans: Invest in a set that includes a small and large saucepan, a frying pan and a stockpot. These versatile pieces will cover most of your cooking needs.
- Baking sheet and ovenware: A baking sheet for cookies and roasted vegetables and an oven-safe dish for casseroles and lasagna are must-haves for every kitchen.
- Utensils: A set of basic utensils, including spatulas, ladles and tongs, will make cooking much more manageable. Many stores like Walmart, Dollarama and Superstore will have these in bundles for an easy buy!
- Cutting board and knives: A sturdy cutting board and a set of sharp knives are essential for meal preparation. We suggest investing in dishwasher-safe knives and boards to cut down your clean-up time.
- Measuring cups and spoons: Precision matters in cooking, so invest in a set of measuring cups and spoons for both dry and wet ingredients.
- Mixing bowls: A few different-sized mixing bowls will come in handy when preparing and serving dishes.
- Can opener: You’ll be surprised how often you’ll use this ordinary tool.
- Cooking oil and spices: Ensure you have olive oil, vegetable oil and a variety of spices on–hand, such as salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. These will add instant flavour to your dishes.
The next step in preparing your kitchen is ensuring you have all the essential items for dining. Whether you’re planning everyday meals or hosting special occasions, the right dinnerware and drinkware are crucial for a well equipped kitchen. Here’s a detailed checklist to help you get started:
- Plates: Consider getting a set of dinner plates and smaller salad or dessert plates for versatility.
- Bowls: Invest in various types of bowls, such as soup bowls, cereal bowls and pasta bowls to accommodate various meals.
- Standard cutlery: Ensure you have a complete set, including forks, knives and spoons for each eater.
- Specialty cutlery: Don’t forget steak knives and various serving devices.
- Glassware: Acquire a variety of glasses such as water glasses, wine glasses (red and white) and maybe even champagne flutes for hosting.
- Mugs: If you enjoy hot beverages, including coffee and tea, have an adequate number of mugs available.
- Cups and saucers: Consider adding cups and saucers to your collection for serving espressos or fancy desserts.
- Storage containers: Leftovers are usually a given, so a variety of food storage containers with lids is a must.
- Waste Disposal: Waste bins and bags will keep your kitchen clean and tidy. For a better-smelling bin, try dropping a few essential oils on the underside of the lid.
- Dish rack and dish soap: These are essential items for an easy cleanup, and don’t forget about sponges or scrubbers!
- First aid kit: Keep the typical contents handy for any kitchen mishaps.
- Cleaning supplies: Basic cleaning supplies such as a broom, mop and surface cleaner will help maintain a clean space and keep those pesky critters out.
Often Forgotten, Yet Incredibly Useful
- Meat thermometer: This item will ensure your meat is cooked to perfection and safe to eat. So, you’ll never have to guess if it's cooked through!
- Corkscrew and bottle opener: These will be in high demand during impromptu gatherings and celebrations.
- Tin foil and plastic wrap: These often get overlooked; they are incredibly important for keeping food fresh.
- Ice cube trays: A kitchen staple for making ice for drinks or for freezing ingredients.
Setting up your first kitchen can be a fun filled experience. With the essential products listed above, you’ll be well-equipped to tackle any culinary adventure that comes your way in your new apartment!
Get primed and prepared for a venue for cooking today!