Your safety should be a priority. In order to remain safe, we need to work together.
Health authorities have made it clear that the risk of getting COVID-19 is generally greater when we interact with more people. We will need to remain vigilant and continue using the techniques we have learned throughout this global pandemic. Continue to ask yourself the question: how can I ensure the safety of myself and others?
How can you stay safe in an apartment building?
In an apartment building, there are more shared spaces throughout the property. Knowledge is what helps us make decisions, including knowing when to self-isolate, practice social distancing etiquette, and change our habits to protect ourselves daily. It's all knowledge that helps us decide how to act.
Always take the advice from reliable government, provincial, and local sources.
Ensure the safety of yourself and others
Here are some things you can do to ensure the safety of yourself and your neighbours in a shared building:
- Isolate if you are feeling unwell
- Maintain a 2-metre distance from others when possible
- Wear a non-medical mask to protect others when in common areas
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds when leaving your suite, and again when you return
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands
- Push buttons and open doors with your elbow. Otherwise, use hand sanitizer before and after pushing elevator buttons and touching door handles
- Cover your mouth with your arm when coughing and sneezing
- Avoid loitering in common areas
- If your building has an elevator, follow usage guidelines for restrictions on load capacity
- Take the stairs when possible
- Be courteous of others when travelling in groups
- Collect mail, take out the garbage, and do laundry at off-peak times
- Limit the amount of times you leave your apartment and the building each day
- Continue to avoid in-person contact and use contact-free options where available
- Clean surfaces inside your apartment regularly with soap and water, bleach, or isopropyl alcohol
As a result of the threat of COVID-19, we at Avenue Living Communities (ALC) have implemented increased frequency of cleaning, sanitization, and disinfection of all common areas and high-touch points in our properties, and we will continue to do so to ensure the safety of our residents.
Our teams continue to follow all safety guidelines when working within our properties. This includes the practice of social distancing, cleaning of tools and surfaces when working within a suite, and the use of personal protective equipment like face masks and gloves.
While we use this time to adjust, we need to remain vigilant. Do your part, respect your environment, and respect your neighbours to ensure your building and city remains safe for all who call it home.