Are you a team player with a knack for saying the right thing and building bridges? At Avenue Living Group of Companies we take pride in our contributions as a team. As a rapidly growing industry leader, we're always looking for the next challenge towards our growth. We're a diverse group of entrepreneurial minds, creative-thinkers, and passionate personalities. Are you inspired by the opportunity to build communities and create connections? If that sounds like you, we'd love to work with you!
Part of our Strategic and Creative Services (SCS) department, the Director of Public & Government Relations will be responsible for building and maintaining a positive image for our company with media and government stakeholders. This individual will work with the team to establish and maintain relationships with residents, the communities in which we operate, media outlets and journalists, our investors, and public interest groups. The role will require expertise in media communications such as press releases, press conferences, and drafting speaking points, responding to requests for information, and coaching client representatives in the correct way of communicating with the public and other stakeholders. This individual will communicate proactively with municipalities to advance Avenue Living Group of Companies' reputation and priorities, helping ensure that the government's policies, regulations and legislation reflect the needs of our residents, tenants, and investors.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Working with Avenue Living's PR agency of record, media vendors and partners to build and execute strategies that will enhancing brand awareness and positive associations, and promote products, ideas, and services.
- Leading and vetting crisis communications activities, acting as the bridge between our internal resources and strategic counsel.
- Writing press releases and other media communications to promote clients, including engaging the internal team for data and information where applicable.
- Coaching Senior Leadership representatives in effective communication with the public.
- Preparing and editing organizational publications, including employee newsletters or stakeholder's reports, for internal and external audiences.
- Work with leadership team and Avenue Living's GR agencies of record on the development and implementation of government strategies and engagement plan.
- Conduct research and monitor legislative, policy and regulatory activity that may affect the industry.
- Draft government correspondence, pre-budget submissions, position papers, etc.
- Participate in government meetings, consultations, roundtables and conferences.
- Solid grasp of the federal government legislative, regulatory and public process, including how political decisions and elected officials influence Canadian public policy.
- Act as a team advocate, embodying Avenue Living core values and SCS team values.
- Format all documents according to Avenue Living brand standards.
- Ability to think both creatively and strategically.
- Manage multiple projects and timelines, often with strict or sudden deadlines.
- Other duties as required.
What You Bring:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications, political science, or related field.
- 10+ years' experience in public affairs or earned media roles with an ability to confidently and professionally pitch to media and hold press conferences.
- Experience running PR and GR campaigns that deliver measurable results and meet objectives.
- Creativity in securing coverage and buzz with traditional outlets.
- Understanding of social media and solid experience working with bloggers.
- Experience in government advocacy/lobbying, including developing policy positions, drafting submissions and letters is a plus.
What You'll Love About Us:
- A diverse internal culture driven by our Core Values
- Proud equal-opportunity employer.
- Inclusive fun working environment.
- Competitive salary.
- Group health and dental benefits through Manulife.
- Annual profit sharing.
- Huge opportunities for career progression as our dynamic organization continues to grow.
- Excellent training and development opportunities.
- A leadership team dedicated to employee development and success.
About Avenue Living:
Based in Calgary, Alberta, Avenue Living Group of Companies was founded in 2006 and is home to a suite of businesses that are entrepreneurial and locally owned and operated. Today, Avenue Living employs over 520 people and continues to capitalize on real estate and investment opportunities in more than 27 markets across western Canada and the United States.
Avenue Living Communities, our property management arm, is Western Canada's fastest growing private property owner and operator. We have since grown to manage more than 20,000 renters in over 400 buildings in the mid-west provinces.
Avenue Living Asset Management, our asset management arm, manages over $2 billion in assets including multi-family residential in Canada and the U.S., agricultural land, commercial properties, and self-storage properties. Currently, the Avenue Living investment platform includes approximately 10,000 multi-family units, 500,000 square feet of commercial space, 42,000 acres of agricultural land and 900,000 square feet of self-storage.